The Great Informalisation: About 50% of Indian GDP from unorganized sector

From a special report on India’s economy

It might surprise some to know that most of the debates on labour issues in India, including the provision of social security & workplace challenges, actually revolve only around 7% of the total workforce.

And yet, as India integrates with the global economy, its the 93% majority that in some ways providing the resources to keep the country competitive and productive. The term is informalisation. And with increased sub-contracting due to globalisation and liberalisation, there is the universe employers are increasingly turning to.

GRAPH-13GRAPH-2-TRADING-DOMINATES

According to the National Sample Survey Organisation, in the year 2009-2010, the total employment in both the organised and the unorganised sector in the country was 465 million. Out of this, only 28 million (7%) were in the organised sector while the remaining 437 million (93%) was in the unorganised sector.

But on the other hand, the informal sector that provides employment to 93% of the work force accounts and accounts for, hold your breath, about 50% of the GDP.

This entry was posted in Base of the Pyramid, Economy, Flexibility, global, India, Informal & Flexible, Migrant worker, Research, South Asia, User research and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

*
*